The Ark - A New Beginning
The ARK – A New Beginning is the brainchild of Evert and Cymone De Schipper a Tasmania couple who now call Siem Reap home.
“After visiting a Government run Rehabilitation Centre here in Siem Reap it became clear very quickly that there was no treatment for addiction or any services provided for addicts to help them in the community once they left the centre. We saw people leave the centre only to return a few months later”
People who have addiction issues in Cambodia face serious and devastating problems as a result of their addiction. Treatment is typically unavailable or cost prohibitive outside of the government run facilities. Desperate families and individuals may commit addicts to the centre as a last resort. However, the majority of addicts are arrested and detained in the centres as an attempt to stop their addiction. According to a report by Human Rights Watch, fewer than 2 per cent of people in the centres are there voluntarily and addicts in these facilites have no access to counselling or any form of retraining.
“It is our mission to help young Cambodian’s struggling with addiction to find long term sobriety and happiness. We want to help them gain strength and courage to become good community citizens so they can find their place in society”
Having found a great property that can house many people Evert and Cymone are setting the wheels in motion to create Siem Reaps first Addiction Care and Training Centre. This centre will be home to young men as they receive professional counselling for their addiction as well as training and the tools to help them succeed in the community.
Presently the property is extremely run down and we need your support to help us bring it back to life and bring life back to the future residents.
Our Core Values
1. Belief in Others. It can be your attitude; your resolve, that can lift someone up when they are down. Their doubt can be erased by your confidence. And something else amazing happens: belief is contagious – the more you believe in others; the more you will continue to believe in yourself.
2. Caring. Caring for others, as well as self-care, allows you to extend a helping hand and to pass along some unexpected grace. When we take the time to demonstrate we care; we demonstrate the fact there are still plenty of good people left in this world.
3. Commitment. Commitment shows loyalty and it can show bravery and tenacity as well. A commitment is a promise made and an expectation we have created. Honoring our commitments can make the difference between achieving what’s most important to us or feeling disappointed and defeated.
4. Dedication. No matter how the circumstances may change, unless you are in a physically or emotionally abusive situation, stay the course and never give up. I would rather be called a failure than a loser. Losers give up when things become too difficult.
5. Forgiveness. To be clear, the purpose of forgiveness is not to absolve someone of the sin(s) committed against you; but to free yourself from the pain and the anger that is keeping you stuck. When you forgive, you are better able to let go of the past and keep moving forward with your life.
6. Honesty. To live authentically; to live honesty, keeps our hearts and souls pure and our minds free of doubt or uncertainty. When we are honest, we know we are doing the right things.
7. Hope. Hope is the fuel that keeps us moving forward when we are the most tired. Hope reassures us that sometimes it’s not a matter of if but only when.
The Ark is a large property but needs polishing for it to become livable.
All the rooms needs painting, we want to make it light with a good atmosphere.
We are really grateful for our great volunteers that use part of their holiday to help out with The Ark.
Whole families are getting engaged and helps to refurbish The Ark. It would not be possible without you!
Serious painting going on.
The kids and teenagers keeps saying it is really giving to help people in need.
Our amazing volunteers!
All the rooms needs some “freshen up”.
During the rain season the property gets flooded. One of the things we are trying to raise money for is a water pump so it is safe to use The Ark all year around.